Skip to content
Definitions of abnormality
- deviation from social norms;
- failure to function adequately;
- statistical infrequency;
- deviation from ideal mental health.
- the behavioural, emotional and cognitive characteristics of phobias.
- the behavioural approach to explaining phobias:
- the two-process model, including classical and operant conditioning.
- the behavioural approach to treating phobias:
- systematic desensitisation, including relaxation and use of hierarchy;
- the behavioural, emotional and cognitive characteristics of depression.
- the cognitive approach to explaining depression:
- Beck’s negative triad;
- Ellis’s ABC model.
- the cognitive approach to treating depression;
- cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), including challenging irrational thoughts.
- the behavioural, emotional and cognitive characteristics of OCD.
- the biological approach to explaining OCD:
- genetic explanation;
- neural explanation.
- the biological approach to treating OCD;