Textbook pages: 250-253
What is meant by globalisation?
- Define globalisation (2)
- Why do you think sociocultural psychologists are interested in globalisaton? What research questions might they ask? For one of your questions:
- Write an alternative and a null hypothesis
- How would you operationalise your variables?
- Find out approximately how many people live in a country other than their country of birth (1)
- Find out how many refugees there are at the moment across the world; see if you can find a map or make one(!) to show where refugees are coming from and ending up.
- See what you can find out about First Nation cultures including Native Americans for example. Native Americans are majorly over-represented in US’s mental health statistics making this an interesting group to find out more about in readiness for the Clinical topic.
- Watch the video clip from your OUP textbook and make some notes.
- You may also like to watch Syrian School on vimeo now: https://vimeo.com/9402444
- And learn about Egyptian pop star Ruby: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4722945.stm
For all three topics in the sociocultural approach, and with reference to research studies, HL students should study the following.
- How globalization may influence attitudes, identities and behaviour.
- The effect of the interaction of local and global influences on behaviour.
- Methods used to study the influence of globalization on behaviour.
Could be useful: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/13/radicalisation-islamophobia-orlando-shooting-florida-muslims-trump
Linking globalisation to Social Identity Theory:
1. What is meant by Global Social Identity (GSI)?
2. Which group in society are likely to have higher GSI scores?
3. How is GSI measured? (see Buchan et al 2011)
4. What factors affect the development of GSI?
5. How does GSI affect attitudes towards global issues? (See Buchan et al (2011): DV concern for global affairs)
6. How does GSI affect behaviour ? (See Buchan et al (2011) : DV: allocation of funds/investment)
Buchan (2011) http://repositori.uji.es/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10234/41861/48194.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
Another paper by Buchan: https://duepublico.uni-duisburg-essen.de/servlets/DerivateServlet/Derivate-39516/Grimalda_Buchan_Brewer_Globalization_2198_0411_GCRP_10.pdf
Further useful studies
Buchan (2011): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21586763
Buchan (2009): https://www.pnas.org/content/106/11/4138
Mumford and Whitehouse (1992): https://tinyurl.com/yybsl89b (The Lahore study)
Lu et al. (2017): https://tinyurl.com/y5ywaphv
Cao et al (XXXX): https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1948550613514456