Our specification tells us that we must study: Stereotypes
The IB explain stereotypes as “rather generalized and rather fixed ways of thinking about a group of people”
They list the following two suggestions in the content column:
- The development of stereotypes with reference to one or more examples
- The effect of stereotypes with reference to one or more examples
Before we start looking at stereotypes , I like to look at Moscovici’s Social Representations Theory, which may also be useful for TOK and helps link our topics together. It also prompts us t take a look at a fantastic research study which is great for learning about the use of focus groups in social psychology.
The Development/formation of Stereotypes
Detailed info on illusory correlation
Effects of stereotypes on behaviour of people who are stereotyped
Effects of stereotypes on behaviour
Are you prejudiced?
- Explain one way stereotyping can affect behaviour. (9)
- Describe one study relating to the effect of stereotyping on behaviour. (9)
- Discuss the effects of stereotypes on behaviour. (22)
- Evaluate research into stereotypes. (22)
- To what extent do stereotypes affect human behaviour. (22)