The IB Guide (2017) tells us that “Cultural dimensions refer to the values of members of a society living within a particular culture” and include…
Long term/Short term Time Orientation
Exam questions cannot specify which dimension you must answer on and the guide simply says you must study at least one of them. Choose a dimension which allows you to answer 22 markers including command terms such as ‘Discuss’ and ‘To what extent’…as well as the easier ones like ‘Evaluate research into…’
- Who came up with the concept of cultural dimensions? (1)
- Describe his early research into cultural dimensions (5)
- Evaluate Hofstede study of cultural dimensions (GRAVE) (10); think about the sample, use of questionnaires, qualitative data, inductive content analysis etc.
Find the answers here: https://www.hofstede-insights.com/models/national-culture/
- http://www.analytictech.com/mb021/cultural.htm beware of sweeping generalisations!
- http://www.randomwire.com/understanding-cultural-differences Two nice presenations here about Chinese and American/Western cultural differences
Independent research task
Each of you will give a short presentation (5 minutes max) about one of the cultural dimensions. In you presentation you must..
- outline the values associated with the two extremes of your dimension, e.g. individualist values versus /collectivist values
- give examples of countries that are high and ow on this dimension
- describe one piece of research which demonstrates how this dimension affects either behaviour or cognition.
- SAQ: Explain how one cultural dimension influences behaviour with reference to one research study. (9) SAQ – Cultural dimensions -AJW